Jump to content



Save money on childcare

In April 2006 the government increased the weekly exempt amount for childcare vouchers (and other directly contracted childcare) by 10% from £50 to £55 per week with effect from 6 April 2006. Which means working parents can now claim up to £55.00 per week in childcare vouchers tax free!

This is in addition to existing tax credits. However it is only payable through your employer's payroll and can only be paid in vouchers into a workplace-provided nursery, or paid by the employer direct to the nursery.

The provisions do not cover purchase of childcare vouchers directly by employees

Vouchers must be used with a registered or approved childcare provider

The employer must be responsible for the purchasing of childcare or you will not qualify for the tax reductions

If two parents of a child are working, they are both entitled to the £55.00 provision

Similarly, same-sex parents are both entitled to benefits if both of them work

Your employer may run a salary sacrifice scheme, approved by the Inland Revenue, where you as an employee formally agree to a reduction in your salary and instead receive that amount in childcare vouchers.

Salary sacrifice schemes will only be approved if there has been a true cut in pay to receive the benefit.

Tax Credits offer extra financial support to help with your everyday costs - they are flexible and change whenever your life changes. There are two types of tax credits - Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit, both of which you may be eligible for. Child Tax Credit is a payment created to support families, or individuals with at least one child or young person who they are responsible for. Working Tax Credit is additional financial support for workers on a low income and can be claimed even if you do not have any children.

Child Tax Credit

Nine out of ten families with children qualify. Families with children can claim Child Tax Credit if their income is no more than £58,175 a year (up to £66,350 if you have a child under one.) How much you get depends on things like:

  • How many children or qualifying young people live with you. You may get more if you care for a child under one.
  • If any child or young person is disabled
  • Your income

You don't have to be a parent either - anyone who's mainly responsible for a child can claim. If you share responsibility with someone else whom you live with as if you were married or civil partners, you must claim together whether you're married or civil partners or not. If you share responsibility with someone else who doesn't live with you, and the children or young people also live with them for part of the time, you need to decide between you who has main responsibility. Only the family member with main responsibility can claim Child Tax Credit.

The payment is made up of two elements:

  1. A family element paid to any family with at least one child and worth up to £545 (2007-2008 tax year)
  2. A child element paid for each child in the family and worth up to £1,845 (2007-2008 tax year)

Child Tax Credit is paid directly into the bank of the main carer.

Working Tax Credit

If you're in work but on low pay, you can apply for Working Tax Credit to top up your earnings. It includes a childcare element to help families who are working and spending money on childcare. You can claim this whether you're employed or self-employed and you may get extra if:

  • You're a parent or responsible for one or more children or young people
  • You pay for childcare
  • You are disabled
  • You're aged 50 or over

The childcare element of Working Tax Credit is aimed specifically at helping working parents with the cost of registered and approved childcare. This can pay up to 80% of childcare costs up to a limit of £175 per week if you are paying for one child and up to £300 per week for two or more children (meaning the most you can receive for the childcare element is £122.50 for one child or £210 for two or more children).

How To Claim

Phone the tax credits helpline on 0845 300 3900.
Alternatively, for more information visit: